Pages

Poems and photos by Peggy Goetz

(Scroll to bottom of page for profile information)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Refrigerated Poems

This looks similar to the one I recall in our kitchen.
Photo from Sears Coldspot web site.


The Poetry Jam prompt this week is refrigerate (in 50 words or less).  Instead of the weather which is so cold in so many places right now I thought about refrigerators from my past. I well remember the task of defrosting the old refrigerator when I was a child. A messy job that meant removing most everything from the refrigerator.  My memory of the small refrigerators was from out time living the the Netherlands where the standard household refrigerators in the area where we lived were about waist-high and didn't hold much.  I don't actually remember having an ice box in our home, but I recall seeing them in other places in my very early childhood.



Defrosting the Coldspot

Consuming household job.
Freezer compartment emptied into  
Ice chest with ice block
from ice place in town.
Pans of boiling water melt
frost imprisoning ice cream
and ice trays. Newspaper
below to catch the dripping.
When old Airstream-shaped
Coldspot left, came miraculous
frost-free model.  Mom didn’t
miss defrosting.


Small Was Enough

Little refrigerators
let little shops live
in the neighborhood,
daily exercise as well.
A way of life.


Iceman’s End

Refrigerator was death nell
for iceman’s job.
Once a fixture in every neighborhood.
No one is an iceman now.

I don't actually remember having an icebox, but they were
the early version of refrigerators and people often had
ice delivered to the house by an iceman.

20 comments:

Vandana Sharma said...

Hmm, well I have never seen one of these. But it must be hard to keep the ice i nit for too long.

alan1704 said...

defrosting, and mum, i remember this, very nice and i like the waty it makes memories.

Mary said...

You tweaked my memory with your poem about defrosting, Peggy. I am glad that these refrigerators have gone the way of the ovens that must be cleaned by hand..

Indeed small would be just fine if a person shopped daily, and food would hopefully always be fresh.

I never saw an icebox. I just can't imagine how they could hold cold in summer. And yes the job of iceman...one if many jobs no longer needed on today's world.

Sumana Roy said...

i like the old-making-room-for-the-new touch...and the iceman reminds me of the fate the postmen are heading towards...

Gabriella said...

Peggy, I can relate to your first two poems.
I remember defrosting an old refrigerator(not mine) a few years back. It was not fun. The dripping and bloating what was dripping made it all very unplesant. I am not surprised your mom didn't miss it!
As a student I also owned a small refrigerator. I guess I walked more then than I do now.

Brian Miller said...

i actually had to move one of those ice boxes about a year ago, they are heavy too...cool looking though....i remember thawing the freezer as well...ha

Unknown said...

The iceman cometh no more.

Gillena Cox said...

those are some good rememberings; have a nice Wednesday

much love...

artbyrae said...

My great Grandpa sold Ice from his lake to the people in town. Ice wagon in the carrage house and ice house near the lake. Old photos are great for memories of so long ago.

Laurie Kolp said...

We have it so easy nowadays!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I remember having an icebox with big block of ice when I was 11 and 12........and it was only three years ago that I stopped having to manually defrost an old refrigerator......so I have come late to modern day ease in terms of fridges:) Amazing, though, the strides technology has taken in just my one lifetime. Unbelievable.

Steve said...

Such a perfect image: Airstream shaped Coldspot. You add wheels and turn the Coldspot on its side and it could well be a little Airstream trailer!

Aishwarya Magesh said...

Thanks for a lovely take on the old Ice box...... Nice to know past.....

Helen said...

My grandparents had one of the old wooden iceboxes ... my sister refurbished it, it occupies a place of honor in her kitchen!

Nice poems, Ms. peggy.

Kathe W. said...

I remember the iceman! I also remember my mom having to spend a lot of time defrosting-and now voila! The only problem is that the auto-defrost can dry out your food....
Have a great day- I enjoyed your postand poems!

Sarav said...

Peggy what memories you brought! Loved all your poems :-)

Pealogic said...

Great reading, not just for your skill as a writer, but historically too.
Ciao
Pea

Lynne said...

What a nice read this is, Peggy. Brought back so many memories. I used to love to be able to defrost my Mom's frig.... why? I don't know, I just remember thinking it was fun. It seems I remember in later days even using a hair dryer to hasten the process.

Intelliblog said...

Great history of refrigeration in three vignettes! I remember my grandparents had an old fashioned icebox and I often accompanied my grandfather to go buy ice for it...

Judy Roney said...

Your poems bring back so many memories of refrigerators. I had not put the connection between small town shops and lack of refrigerator space. So true. Leaving behind things to gain better is sad even though we love the improvements.