Pages

Poems and photos by Peggy Goetz

(Scroll to bottom of page for profile information)

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Poem: River Song

Photo: South Africa, 2006

River Song


We move with the current
in the gray of this river, running
free in the rapids, then luffing
sluggish round the bend. Yet we
feel safe in our small ships,
passing dim wilderness of
blank-eyed buildings, airless
streets, crumbling sidewalks,
creatures slumped in shadows,
ready to spring. This land is
untamed, unsoftened
with care, no friendly rangers
smile camera-toting hikers
into deep urban wilderness.
We stay in our small craft
hoping not to touch shore
till we're safe in our burbs
so near yet so far.

Written in response to prompt, describe a landscape.

3 comments:

Judy Roney said...

I do like the feel and safety of that little boat sometimes..both in city and country. I liked where this took me and the feelings of being protected from the "river".

Mary said...

Sometimes we just have to move with that current, trying as hard as we can to avoid dangers on either side of our small craft.

Bob Hendricks said...

I love the poem. I didn't realize your wilderness was "urban" until near the end. I love wilderness, yet move quickly through, ignoring "creatures slumped in shadows" yet delight in the creatures in the shadows of wild areas. Excellent poem.