Pages

Poems and photos by Peggy Goetz

(Scroll to bottom of page for profile information)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Poems: Grandfather's Word

Photo: Antigua, Guatemala, April 2011

Grandfather's Word

I remember Pa as silent.
I can see his unsmiling bent
boney figure sitting in his bait shed,
inspecting his vegetable
garden, eating at the two-person
enamel-painted kitchen table
in the bright sun, corn fritters,
breaded eggplant. I remember
only one word from him, niggra,
and even so young I knew not
to use it. I'm glad he was mostly
silent.


Prompt from Judy: Write about something your grandfather said.

4 comments:

Judy Roney said...

What a great poem of a character. He might not have talked much but you said volumes about him in this poem.

Ann said...

Strong and silent doesn't always mean wise. You caught the man and his culture with a few choice words of your own, Peggy.

Victoria said...

You just get better and better as a poet Peggy. This one punches hard, catches time and place with power.

The Poetry Palace said...

love this one, amazing imagery.

http://promisingpoetsparkinglot.blogspot.com/2011/11/agreement-for-thursday-poets-rally-week.html

welcome join us with a free verse today.