Pages

Poems and photos by Peggy Goetz

(Scroll to bottom of page for profile information)

Friday, April 29, 2011

Poem: Ode to Monsters


Photo: Village cemetary, Solola, Guatemala, April 2011

Today's prompt from Poetic Asides is to write an ode. This is also written to yesterday's Poets United prompt, monsters.

Ode to Monsters

Green monsters, fire-breathing,
spiney, hairy or slimy, walking,
lurching, looming, here's to
all of you created on pages or
film to ravage cities, empires
or worlds. You allow us to be
afraid in a safe, contained space
to let tension sail in screams
and squeels all the time knowing
fiction is as real as it gets.
Not so the real monsters of
life that await us down the path.

9 comments:

Ann said...

I don't like monsters. This is shivery, Peggy.

Mary said...

I like this poem, Peggy. There IS a difference between movie monsters and the REAL monsters out there that really inspire fear!

Judy Roney said...

This is really neat, Peggy. I agree about the monsters of imagination and the real ones in real life are quite different creatures. The ending holds a great twist.

Willow said...

I never was able to get into monster movies, too frightening...never thought of them as scary safe.

Isabel Doyle said...

Perhaps it would be easier for us if monsters were green and slimey, they would be less scary than the unseen ones we wrestle with

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Peggy,
a most fantastic piece of writing.
The fantasy world and the reality, of very real monsters, without any hearts or caring.
We have all encountered the scary, real versions at some time it seems.
Best wishes, Eileen

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Excellent! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'll take the make-believe monsters over the real ones that disguise their montrocities. Great poem, Peggy.

Lynne said...

Anonymous is me, Peggy. Second time I've done this today!