It's in Her Eyes
Her lips smile
She holds her head high
Her shoulders straight
But there is the pain,
Sadness
Tragedy
Doubt
Of life in her mountain village
In the eyes of the midwife.
In the eyes of the midwife.
My prompt this week at imaginary garden with real toads is: Eyes. I met this woman when we visited a village in Honduras.

14 comments:
"The eyes are a mirror to the soul." (Yiddish Proverb) A lot said in a few words.
Her eyes are definitely VERY expressive, Peggy.
Revisiting. Still moved.
So much said in these few words. Tender writing.
-HA
so many stories she could probably share!
Goodness the things she must have seen.
Wow, yes, what has she seen and what will she see? Provocative.
I believe this, Peggy. Two summers I worked with two American Indian fellows, one an older man and the other a young man, in his twenties. Both were proud and had their "shoulders straight." But at times there was hurt in their eyes, more so in the older man than the younger.
Thank you for the theme today. I wrote on the Toad page,
"This was a fun write, Peggy. I didn't do you justice but felt I had to write.
Thank you for all you've done here on Wednesdays. Too bad (for me) you are leaving, this is my first time on Wednesday."
..
so much those eyes have seen...
beautifully expressed..
Great portrait here, a look that also gazes back in the mirror when days become so difficult.
Those eyes must have seen so much.
I love her quiet dignity, Peggy. Lovely poem.
The eyes tell so much. I could see them before I looked at your photo. Old, wizened eyes that have seen so much.
The eyes of a midwife catch many a family not at their best times. You found a good pair pictured for showing experience in hardships.
..
Post a Comment